December 31, 2007

Introduction

Hi everyone, I started this blog to write about web 2.0 and library 2.0 websites and applications. My library system is starting a training program on Library 2.0 in January. I first became interested in library 2.0 last year, while I was still in the MSLIS program at Florida State University. Once I started reading some of the blogs about Library 2.0, I became very interested in user-generated content and social networks. I am also interested in finding information efficiently and not having to "reinvent the wheel".

For example, there are online wikis that allow librarians to add content and resource links about a topic, so that the best information is brought together in one place. My favorite wiki is Meredith Farkas' "Library Success Wiki", which she created to share best library practices. I was inspired to create a blog, Senior Friendly Libraries", to bring together resources for older adult services libarians. An interesting side effect is that older adults are also visiting my blog (via google searches) and learning about useful resources for older adults.

As I looked at more Web 2.0 websites, I found that there were many services that I could also use in my private life. I could share photos with family and friends on Flickr, play in a virtual world (SecondLife), get ratings and reviews on items that I wanted to buy, and find new friends on social networks (such as Facebook). I think that you will have fun playing with these Web2.0 applications, too!

1 comment:

LibSc said...

Hi it is really great job i appreciate it